In the romance studded chronicles of Texas, the name and deeds of Lafitte, the pirate, loom large. It is a matter of historical record that his base of operations was once on Galveston Island and that his ships sailed up and down the coast of the vicinity.
One of the many legends of the famous buccaneer has its locale in La Porte. According to the tale Lafitte once weighed anchor off what is now Bay Ridge. With two henchmen he unloaded a heavy chest and carried it into some thick shrubbery where it was buried and he returned alone. If the legend is true and the pirate treasure was ever buried, it is still there for there is no record of it ever being unearthed. However, from time to time a few gold coins have been found in the beautiful bay waters. To date the cache, if it does lie there, has defied the hand of man, until now!
On October 20, the City of La Porte will release new "treasures" online at Geocaching.com. Last year, 10 brand new geocaches were released around La Porte, stay tuned to see how many will be released this year!
If you love Mardi Gras on Main Street, you are going to love The Search for Lafitte's Gold street festival following the Geocache hunt! We will have live music on the main stage, some of the best food trucks from the Houston area as well as over 50 craft and artisan vendors. This is another FREE event you can bring the entire family to as we will have street entertainers, pirate costume contest, airbrush tattoo artist, and pirate themed activities for the little ones as well!
- Geocaching workshops coming soon! Learn the ins and outs about how to become an expert Geocache hunter
- October 20 at 4pm The Search for Lafitte's Gold begins
- Locations of those caches will be released on geocaching.com
- If you're not familiar with geocaching please visit this site and read up before the event. It is a great activity to do as a family or with a scout group!
Family Friendly Street Festival:
- October 20 from 4pm to 9pm
- Free entry to the festival
- Food Truck Alley
- Two live acts on the Main Street stage
- Street Entertainers
- Costume Contests
- Activities for the little ones including face painting, slides, etc!