In the romance studded chronicles of Texas, the name and deeds of Lafitte, the pirate, loom large. It is a matter of historical record that his base of operations was once on Galveston Island and that his ships sailed up and down the coast of the vicinity.
One of the many legends of the famous buccaneer has its locale in La Porte. According to the tale Lafitte once weighed anchor off what is now Bay Ridge. With two henchmen he unloaded a heavy chest and carried it into some thick shrubbery where it was buried and he returned alone. If the legend is true and the pirate treasure was ever buried, it is still there for there is no record of it ever being unearthed. However, from time to time a few gold coins have been found in the beautiful bay waters. To date the cache, if it does lie there, has defied the hand of man, until now!
On October 21, the City of La Porte will release treasure maps at our newest festival THE SEARCH FOR LAFITTE’S GOLD and online at Geocaching.com. There will be 10 new geocaches throughout the city up for grabs!
If you love Mardi Gras on Main Street, you are going to love The Search for Lafitte's Gold street festival following the scavenger hunt! We will have Harbors Over Highways headlining the evening. The festival will also feature some of the best food trucks from the Houston area as well as our Sunset Sip & Stroll market vendors. This is another FREE event you can bring the entire family to as we will have street entertainers, pirate costume contest, airbrush tattoo artist, and pirate themed activities for the little ones as well!
Family Friendly Street Festival:
- October 21 from 4pm to 9pm
- Free entry to the festival
- Food Truck Alley
- Harbors Over Highways will play on the Main Street stage
- Street Entertainers
- Costume Contests
- Activities for the little ones including face painting, slides, etc!
- October 21 at 4pm The Search for Lafitte's Gold begins
- Locations of those caches will be released on geocaching.com and with paper maps that will be passed out to residents at Five Points Plaza (100 S Broadway)!
- If you're not familiar with geocaching please visit this site and read up before the event. It is a great activity to do as a family or with a scout group!