In the romance studded chronicles of Texas, the name and deeds of Jean Lafitte, the pirate, loom large. His base of operations was once on Galveston Island and his ships sailed up and down the coast of the vicinity.
One of the many legends about the famous buccaneer has its locale in La Porte. According to the tale, Lafitte once weighed anchor off what is now Bay Ridge. With two henchmen, he unloaded a heavy chest and carried it into some thick shrubbery where it was buried. Once his treasure was safely hidden, Lafitte returned to his ship alone. If the legend is true, the pirate treasure still remains buried and undisturbed. There are no historical records of it ever being unearthed. However, from time to time a few gold coins have been found in the bay waters.
On October 20th, in celebration of the legend of Lafitte’s buried prize, the City of La Porte will release new "treasures" online at Geocaching.com. The geocache clues will be released as The Search for Lafitte’s Gold festival begins at 4:00pm at Five Points Plaza (100 S Broadway St, La Porte).
If you love concerts, street entertainment and family fun, you are going to love The Search for Lafitte's Gold street festival! The day includes live music on the main stage, some of the best food trucks from the Houston area and over 50 craft and artisan vendors. This is a FREE event for the entire family. There will be street entertainers, airbrush tattoo artist, inflatable slides and pirate themed activities for kids. Grab your best pirate costume and join in on the hunt!
- Geocaching workshops coming soon! Learn the ins and outs about how to become an expert Geocache hunter
- October 20 at 4pm The Search for Lafitte's Gold begins
- Locations of those caches will be released on geocaching.com
- If you're not familiar with geocaching please visit this site and read up before the event. It is a great activity to do as a family or with a scout group!
Family Friendly Street Festival:
- October 20 from 4pm to 9pm
- Free entry to the festival
- Food Truck Alley
- Two live acts on the Main Street stage
- Street Entertainers
- Costume Contests
- Activities for the little ones including face painting, slides, etc!