Have you ever hear of the famous pirate Laffite? Well… he is a legend! In fact, historical records have his base of operation on Galveston Island and we know his ships sailed up and down the coast of Galveston Bay.
One of the many legends of the famous buccaneer has its locale in La Porte. According to the tale Lafitte once weighed anchor off what is now Bay Ridge. With two henchmen he unloaded a heavy chest and carried it into some thick shrubbery where it was buried and he returned alone. If the legend is true and the pirate treasure was ever buried, it is still there for there is no record of it ever being unearthed. However, from time to time a few gold coins have been found in the beautiful bay waters. To date the cache, if it does lie there, has defied the hand of man.
Inspired by the legend, the City Of La Porte will be launching 10 city-wide geocaches at our newest street festival – The Search for Lafitte’s Gold.
If you love Mardi Gras on Main Street, you are going to love The Search for Lafitte's Gold street festival. We will have Harbors Over Highways headlining the evening. The festival will also feature some of the best food trucks from the Houston area as well as our Sunset Sip & Stroll market vendors. This is another FREE event you can bring the entire family to as we will have street entertainers, pirate costume contest, airbrush tattoo artist, and pirate themed activities for the little ones as well!
FAMILY FRIENDLY STREET FESTIVAL:
- October 21 from 4pm to 9pm
- Free entry to the festival
- Food Truck Alley
- Street Entertainers
- Costume Contests
- Activities for the little ones including face painting, slides, etc!
- Locations of those caches will be released on geocaching.com.
- If you're not familiar with geocaching please visit this site and create an account prior to the event. You can also join us for an instructional session at 2:00PM at Five Points Plaza prior to the event. It is a great activity to do as a family or with a scout group!
- Harbors Over Highways on Main Stage
- IRIE TIME on Main Stage
- Islands in the Sun Productions (Jimmy Buffet Tribute)
Follow the discussion on our Facebook Event Page!